This icon of Kazanskaya Godmother is a splendid specimen of modern Mstera lacquerware. According to the tradition of Russian icon painting, the work is painted in egg tempera paints. The halos above the heads of the Godmother and her child are painted with brillant gold paint. Gold is also used to create a frame around the depicted icon.
The icon is painted on the wooden plate. On the back side of the icon the artist has left her first name (Anastasya), listed the materials she has used (lime-tree, tempera paints, gold paint), and also stated the fact that this work was completed in the summer of 2007.
The Icon of Kazanskaya Godmother is one of the most revered and glorified Russian icons. It played a tremendous role throughout the entire history of our state. The name of the icon, the Mother of God of Kazan, indicates that it comes from the town of Kazan, in the Volga region. There is an interesting legend connected with this icon. In 1579, in the city of Kazan, Russia, a girl named Matrona was instructed in a dream by the Theotokos to unearth her icon. On July 8, the icon was found as prophesied and carried in solemn procession to St. Nicholas Church.